St Clair Juniors
In it for Life
• Prerequisite – Level 5 Award.
• 200 metre pool swim in 4.5 minutes.
• Run swim run in the ocean (100m run including the wade, 200m swim, 100m run) in 7 minutes.
• Tow a patient in a rescue tube a minimum distance of 30 metres. The rescuer must wear fins.
• 200 metre pool swim in under 4 minutes 30 seconds
• Run swim run in the ocean (100m run including the wade, 100m swim, 100m run)
in under 5 minutes.
• Tow a patient in a Rescue Tube a minimum distance of 30 metres.
The rescuer must wear fins.
• Perform Tube Rescue and Board Rescue at a beach setting (not pool).
• Attend four patrols (no less than 12 hours in total).
• Demonstrate basic CPR.
• Complete all Rookie Lifeguard log book modules.
Module 1 Health, Sun Smart & Conservation
Module 2 Surf & Swimming Skills
Module 3 Role of a Surf Lifeguard and Patrolling
Module 4 Signals, Flags & Radio Operations
Module 5 Rescue, Releases & Tube Rescue
Module 6 First Aid & Emergency Care
Module 7 Primary Survey & CPR
Module 8 Practical Surf Skills - Safety Check - Surf Swim with Fins - Body Board with Fins - Rescue Board
Module 9 Patrol Equipment and Clubhouse
Module 10 Surf Life Saving Club Structure and Culture
It is mandatory to wear a hi-vis vest during all junior surf activities (or a hi-vis singlet). Club caps must be worn for carnivals. These items are available for purchase at registration, on the website and on Saturdays before Junior Beach Club. Hi-vis vests must be worn whenever you are using club equipment – no exceptions.
Carnivals are a great opportunity to participate in both a fun and competitive environment. They give children the chance to meet nippers from other clubs, see other beaches, pursue a sport and develop skills such as board paddling, surf swimming and beach skills in age and stage appropriate ways. The emphasis is always on participation, safety, sportsmanship and enjoyment. There are no points given at local carnivals, it’s all about having a go! Under 14’s and Under 13’s are combined at local carnivals.
• Beach Flags
• Beach Sprints
• Beach Relay (Mixed)
• Surf Race
• Board Race
• Board Relay
• U14 Tube & Board Rescue
• 2K Beach Run , athletes can enter as a team
Sun 22th Nov: 9am
Sun 6th Dec: 9am
Sun 20th Dec: 9am
Sat 23rd Jan: 9am
If you're ready to take your skills to the next level, these Carnivals are where points, medals and trophies are earned. The events are the same as listed above. Under 12’s and Under 11’s are separate at these carnivals.
Otago Junior Championships, 9:00am Saturday Feb 6, Kaka Point SLSC
Southern Region Junior Champs, 9:00am Saturday Feb 13 - Sunday Feb 14, Warrington SLSC
Oceans 21, Thursday Feb 25 - Sunday Feb 28, Mount Maunganui Lifeguard Service